Who are we?

Vocal Constructivists September 2011

We are VOCAL CONSTRUCTIVISTS, on account of the resemblance between pages of Treatise and Constructivist architecture. We are also building something…

It being a bit of a mouthful, we first considered COR (the nickname by which Cornelius was known to his friends, which has the virtue of brevity, homonym of “Chor”, and he liked 3-letter names, like AMM), but we didn’t want to limit ourselves just to singing Cardew.

The group was formed in 2011 to give the first ever sung performance of Cornelius Cardew’s Treatise. Believing the score‚Äôs length to be a crucial part of its identity, we decided to perform the work in its entirety. The group explored the idiosyncratic notation as a form of social practice, the score supplying open-ended vocabulary for collective discourse. In keeping with the politics of the piece, no one individual assumed the role of artistic director. Instead, all musical decisions came from the group, worked out in collaboration. An Allbritton Center for the Study of Public Life grant will enable the Vocal Constructivists to perform in the USA in spring 2013, for an event directed by Jane Alden entitled Sound, Image, and the Space In-Between.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Who are we?

1. minjas says:

All three sound good to me. A little bias to Vocal Constructivists though

• aubrey says:

Being a blogging virgin I can’t work out how to comment on a post, which seemed a better way to add possible names than to edit the post itself. Anyway, how about a play on Scratch Orchestra? Scratch Choir? ScratchChoir (trendy use of joined-up words)? scratchChoir (even trendier)? Scratchoir (unpronounceable pun…)? Scratch Cor/Chor?

Other ideas:

Sound Construction?
      Vocal/Aural Construction?

2. Luigi Fulk says:

I am continually invstigating online for ideas that can aid me. Thank you!

3. Issac Maez says:

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!